Friday, July 13, 2012

Nesting?

Whenever I have heard the term "nesting", it's always in reference to babies. Future mothers getting the nursery together and arranged in order to create an environment they are happy and comfortable about bringing their new bundle of joy into.

Well, that certainly isn't my situation (don't worry, Mom and Dad, there are no babies anywhere near my future), but for the past few days, I have felt like "nesting" is exactly what I was doing. What was my baby? Me, maybe? Can I be my own baby?

Being the ever-OCD and over-analyzing girl that I am, I looked it up:

nesting  (ˈnɛstɪŋ)
the tendency to arrange one's immediate surroundings, such as a work station, to create a place where one feels secure, comfortable, or in control.

Now that sounds just like me! Getting things how I want them so I feel safe and in control? Yep, that's my personality for ya. And, that's exactly what I have been doing for the past week. So my inkling didn't lead me astray after all. 

I've been moving things around and finally getting some art up on all those blank walls.
 This guy is the star of the wall next to the kitchen. Art quilt thanks to mi madre that depicts so perfectly the part of the town that I lived in when I studied abroad in Toledo, Spain.
 Another goody from that experience in Spain was this post of "The Garden of Earthly Delights". After over and year and a half of being rolled in a poster tube, it has finally found a home on the wall.


I have also hung a bunch of my own work, another quilt of my mom's, and even some cross-stitching that my grandmother did maybe 50 years ago. I love the idea that there are 3 generations of art and furniture filling my apartment and making it feel like home.


Also helpful in making it feel like home? I finally got my cable and internet installed!

Wow, what a difference that makes! All of a sudden, it feels very permanent. It's starting to settle in that this is my place, and not just some vacation home that I am staying in for the summer. I'm sure it will feel even more real when I pay my first electric and water bills.

*********

On a completely unrelated note, a little update on my running experiment

Today, I had the best run of my life. I ran(with minor walking breaks) 3.2 miles in just under 35 minutes. For me, that is a record-setting pace, and it really felt awesome. I felt like I could have kep going, but I wanted to make sure I had time to hang out with Jillian Michaels for some Yoga Meltdown before I headed out.

What was the variable that made this run so good?
I ate breakfast and digested before heading out. Usually, I run first thing in the morning, before eating anything, and still pretty groggy. The change meant that I had some food in me and had time to wake up before conquering the demon. And... it was awesome!

Duh, Rach! Obviously it is going to go better and feel better if you put a little gas in the tank first! No shit, Sherlock. I know I'm a really smart person, but sometimes my own stupidity amazes me. I definitely going to repeat it again tomorrow and see if I can keep the positive, running momentum going.

Here's to settling in and figuring things (even if they're pretty obvious) out!
 ~ Rach 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment