Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How I: Eat My Oatmeal

Admit it. When you read the title of my post, you said, "Why do I care?". Honestly, why would you?

I have this theory that the way you know you truly understand and know someone really well is when you notice and recognize the little eccentricities about their everyday life. The way they do certain things. Their quirks. My ex always called me quirky. It was a nicer way to say that I can be a bit unique sometimes. And, you know what? I am totally ok with that. I think quirky is probably one of the most appropriate descriptions I have ever received.

I am thinking that this post may be the first of a series about things that I do in particular ways. It's entertaining to me to reflect on how downright silly I can be about certain things, and maybe take a step in to releasing some of the self-induced rituals.

One of the things that I am particular about is my morning routine. It is important to me to start the day off on the right foot so I can spend the rest of the day following that trend and just feeling altogether good.

Ideally, my morning starts at the a$$ crack of dawn, going to the gym for a good sweat sesh. I love working out in the morning. It gets it out of the way, and wakes me up so that I am ready for the day.

The quirkiest part of my morning, though, is definitely how I eat my oatmeal. Breakfast is always oatmeal. It is delicious, full of nutrients, and fills me up so that I stay satisfied through my morning classes. I have experimented with other breakfasts, and while there are many scrumptious options, nothing does it for me like my oatmeal.

So, let's take a look:
First off, what's in the mix. Technically, I don't know that you can even call this oatmeal, because the only oats in it are actually oat bran. This morning's bowl was pretty typical: 1/3 c oat bran, about 1/4c blueberries, half of a chopped apple, cinnamon and water. Zapped in the micro for 2 min. I know, I know, stove top is better, but what college student has 45 min to cook oats?

The whole thing then gets topped with a drizzle of nut butter. Anywhere from 1/2 to a whole tablespoon (today it was 1 tbs almond butter). Then, I use the back of my (mini) spoon to spread it out so that there is an even layer all over the top.
 After judging my nut butter spreading for the area with the most nutty bite, I start digging in from the opposite side, working towards the more heavily buttered side. I eat it across in rows, actually digging away underneath the nut butter so that I always end a row with a bite of the good stuff.
 The last row is always the trickiest because I really do want to keep the nuttiest bite for last. I keep the top layer stuck to the sides of the mug and scrape away below it. I end on a high note of mostly nut butter with (hopefully) a blueberry right below it. Mmmmm

That's how I do it. That's how I like it. Now you know. I am sure that you are thankful for all the info. But, think about it. What are somethings that you always do the same way? Any funny eating habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment