Thursday, April 5, 2012

Home for Passover

Well, my second Spring Break is almost over! So sad! Monday morning it will be back to 5:30 am wake-up calls, hour-long commutes, and my first week doing some real teaching.

But first, I get to head back to Cincinnati for my all-time favorite holiday of the year, Passover!

Even when I was a little kid, I liked this one better than any other (even Chanukah, where we actually got presents). I think it is because it is so full of ritual and tradition and, of course, the seder meal. Probably th best mea my mom cooks and the best party she throws all year.

Last year, the seder fell during the middle of the week, so I had to miss the family affair. I tried to put one together for my friends here at school, but in my puny apartment, it couldn't hold a candle to Mom's.

Yep, the whole thing in the living room, on coffee tables. I sat on the floor. The matzo balls were like rocks. Needless to say, I am beyond excited to head home for the good stuff!

Along with the excitement, though, is a little quite a bit of anxiety. I will be home for almost 4 days, and I know that no workout of any kind will be happening. Also, the traditional food doesn't really fit with the kind of eating that makes me feel my best (or that I feel comfortable putting in my body).  I wish I didn't have these kinds of thoughts lingering in the back of my mind, but it seems to be something that I just can't shake. Worry and guilt always find their way into my thoughts.

But, I am going to make it my goal for this weekend to not listen to them. I am going to be in the moment, happy with my family, and enjoying all of the tradition and love that went into the seder meal. It's about time I started to learn how to quiet those damn voices in there.

So, here's to family, love, and living in the moment.
~ Rach




2 comments:

  1. I hope you can enjoy it! These types of things only come once a year,and you don't want the memories tainted with guilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agreed! I am making sure that doesn't happen this year. Thanks!

      Delete