Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hopping on the Band Wagon

One of my favorite things about the blogging world is gathering inspiration to try new and creative things in the kitchen. I honestly think that many of my current favorite foods would be completely foreign to me i it weren't for the blogs that I read. Almond butter, brussels sprouts, quinoa- just to name a few. I can't imagine going a week without any of these! Thank you, bloggie boos, for turning me on to their wonder!

Well, last night, I attempted a new food that I discovered by reading about it several times on the super-web.
Hello, Kabocha!
Not my pic (source) forgot to snap one before I cut into him.
I had read about them several times, and had them on my radar, but couldn't seem to find them in Small-town-Nowhere, Ohio. But, last week, they had a couple little organic babies at my grocery store, and I had to pick one up.

A week later, I actually had the time to roast it up for dinner.
 
 The process underway. Chopped up and roasted with the rest of my dinner.
I enjoyed the kabocha with roasted cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, and tofu. Some spicy marinara on the side.

So how did kabocha score on the grading scale? B
Honestly, didn't blow my socks off. Sure, it tasted good, and I definitely enjoyed my dinner, but I found it to be a less flavorful, not as sweet, version of butternut squash. And, at about twice the price. Maybe my cooking method wasn't perfect. It's definitely worth a second try... if it ever goes on sale. Until then, I'll stick with butternut.

Here's to experimenting in the kitchen!
~ Rach


No comments:

Post a Comment